Monday, March 28, 2011

Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.

Have you seen the one with the monkey's big break? The one where Ross and Rachel take a break? Or the one where Joey moves out?
If you have, F.R.I.E.N.D.S has been a huge influence in your life too. The show about six friends who share space in each other's apartments and meet for coffee at Central Perk, a mythical Manhattan cafe. They share their day to day adventure or lull with their best buds.

After 10 season run, it will be remembered as one of the greatest and the most influential sitcoms of all time.
If you know me well, you would know how passionate I am of the series, so much so that I have my writing board filled with articles and pictures of the show! Call me crazy, but, I love every bit of the show.
You are probably wondering why I chose to write about the show and its influence on me after so many years of its existence in my life. It took me only a few seconds to awaken to the importance of Friends in my life. Pun intended.

I have watched the show almost everyday with my very own Ross Gellar. Well, if you are still wondering, if I was given a chance to play a role in the series, without a second to think I would call - Monica Gellar. :-) I remember thinking one night before falling asleep that now being OCD seems alright since people have loved and accepted Monica Gellar! 

The perfect cast, the perfect time slot, the perfect time in our culture to have a show about friends as our family. Having mentioned the above, I would like to draw special attention to the "perfect time in my life". 

I was doing my Bachelors and Masters degree as the show continued to anchor in my life. Having been a people's person always, I subconsciously started to build friendship in groups and when I look back today, with a sense of accomplishment I would say that these are friendship I have built for Life. The show was taking over my thought process in ways unknown to me. In a way it was and will always continue to be a huge positive influence in my life. 
I take this opportunity to thank every 'friend' I have built over the years and the ones who have and will be a huge positive influence in my life. Most of them, are still pretty unaware of their importance in my Life.

Be it Jennifer Aniston's hairdo discussion or a guy at a restaurant using Joey's pick up line "How you doin" or making funky and jazzy jewelery like Phoebe or Chandler's witty comebacks, the show had gotten into our psyche. Even today they don't fail to cheer me up on my worst days and cheer me up even further on my best.

I remember crying during the very last episode that was aired on national television. I remember crying during my farewell party at college. Those were really the days, I thought they'd never end. And they also say all good things have to come to an end. Too bad, no one told you life was gonna be this way. :-)








1 comment:

  1. :)yeah... the sitcom is a great stress buster for me.. :)
    it has surely influenced many of us...
    dont thank your friends dude! dosti mein no thank you no sorry..hahahhaha

    ReplyDelete